Saturday, April 19, 2014

Cake Recipes: Aunt Mary's Delicious Bunny Cake


Jun 03, 2013

I hope this cake isn’t being passed by because of its title. The submitter calls it a bunny cake but it shouldn’t be limited to just the shape of a bunny! But with only one review I’ll bet this is what’s happening to this excellent and obviously overlooked recipe. Have no misgivings about making this basic yellow layer cake. It’s merely a slight variation on the classic “One-Two-Three-Four Cake. The lemon and orange extracts were just the right amount for a delicate flavor, not masking the beautiful, butter cake taste of this at all. That said, any flavor extract would work – or stick with just the vanilla! I did make one small but important change – as I frequently do with butter cakes as they have a tendency to be dry, I substituted vegetable oil for the 1/8 cup (2 T.) butter called for in this recipe. I baked this as cupcakes, about 20-22 minutes. I tasted one before it was frosted and it was blue-ribbon good. It has a beautiful, moist and tender crumb, neither too dense nor two fluffy. A cake that stands on its own without being buried in frosting is a real winner in my book. As for the frosting, I knew I’d love it when I saw its ratio of fat to powdered sugar and its mix of both butter and shortening, offering the best qualities of both. Make sure you use hi-ratio shortening and pure 10x cane sugar and you will have the smoothest, creamiest buttercream you could hope for. Note: this recipe should make a 13×9″ sheet cake, 9″ layer cake or 24 cupcakes.


 



Allrecipes Daily Recipes for Desserts



Cake Recipes: Aunt Mary's Delicious Bunny Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment